Wednesday, March 5, 2008

To Smell or Not to Smell

All-natural deodorant. The thought sends shivers down the spines of many women. Does it really work? Will I stink? Will I smell fine but still be sweaty? Does regular deodorant cause breast cancer? Well, according to the National Cancer Institute, there is no conclusive evidence that deodorant or antiperspirants cause cancer; however, while a number of studies show no correlation between breast cancer and deodorant/antiperspirant, this study is interesting:
Findings from [one] study examining the frequency of underarm shaving and antiperspirant/deodorant use among 437 breast cancer survivors were released in 2003. This study found that the age of breast cancer diagnosis was significantly earlier in women who used these products and shaved their underarms more frequently. Furthermore, women who began both of these underarm hygiene habits before 16 years of age were diagnosed with breast cancer at an earlier age than those who began these habits later. While these results suggest that underarm shaving with the use of antiperspirants/deodorants may be related to breast cancer, it does not demonstrate a conclusive link between these underarm hygiene habits and breast cancer.
I also found this (from the same article above) interesting:
Aluminum-based compounds are used as the active ingredient in antiperspirants. These compounds form a temporary plug within the sweat duct that stops the flow of sweat to the skin's surface. Some research suggests that aluminum-based compounds, which are applied frequently and left on the skin near the breast, may be absorbed by the skin and cause estrogen-like (hormonal) effects. Because estrogen has the ability to promote the growth of breast cancer cells, some scientists have suggested that the aluminum-based compounds in antiperspirants may contribute to the development of breast cancer.
So what now? Should you buy all-natural deodorant? I don't know. I try to use all-natural deodorant, and the best one I have tried so far is the JASON brand. I am currently trying out Alba, but it is really sticky and I only use it when I know no one is going to be smelling me anytime soon. It does smell good though. I still use regular deodorant/antiperspirant for work, but I have gone from using one with a large percent of aluminum to one with less... Hopefully it is doing some good. No matter what, the idea of plugging your pits with aluminum every day doesn't sound like it can be that good for you.

Has anyone else out there tried any good all-natural deodorants?

2 comments:

SH Lawrence said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SH Lawrence said...

I use (and like) Crystal Roll-On deodorant. It's papben free and has no alumimum chlorohydrate. It's available at my grocery store (Shaw's) but I have also seen it at heath food stores.

I also tried Spring Fresh deoderant.. but found it didn't really work very well. It's now in the trash.